25 July 2008

Noise on the pitch


In the past I've burbled about how noisy club cricket is ( I particularly noticed it about 4 years ago playing my first First XI game for several years at Ealing) and was slightly critical - might even have blamed an antipodean influence.
Last night I played a fairly serious game of office cricket - 22 'proper' players from several clubs and we mostly had to introduce ourselves to each other before the game ( and in my case negotiate my way down the batting order in a series of offers).
What was then striking as we did our fielding session was how quiet it was, no encouragment for bowlers, no high-fives when wickets fell and no general chatter. It was almost boring and any efforts made to build any sort of spirit seemed to fall on deaf ears.
Funny how times and attitudes change!

2 comments:

Ed said...

you neglected to tell us how you did?!?

What I'm also interested in is how you have an office where everyone has to introduce themselves to each other before the match!....that's either a massive company, or you're all very shy!

Mark Davis said...

Ah! I was playing for a hockey-mate who raised a side of so-called 'allstars' to play the firm of solicitors of which he used to be head partner. I think the oppo. mostly knew each other!
We won and I made the sort of contribution you'd expect!