2 February 2009

Middlesex Panthers

Seems that the Middlesex committee agree with me. I said some time ago that in view of history the use of the name 'Crusaders' for the one day team is more than a tad insensitive these days and inappropriate if you're wishing to enlist more from the Asian communities or play in what used to be called the Middle East.

So now they've announced that in future they will call themselves the Panthers and it looks as if they had to make the announcement earlier than they intended because of leaks.

2 comments:

Ed said...

You did mention it before, you wise old-head you! In fact what with you predicting Pietersen's demise, perhaps you are wasted in the pub trade?

I totally disagree with the notion that you have to change a name when a few people object though - is it not possible to reason with people? After all, should Kent Spitfires change their name if I complain that I think it suggests that they want to Spit Fire at me? Or shoot me down in a plane - after all Spitfires were once used to kill people? It's obviously insane. But as soon as religion comes into the equation, that is what happens - the world goes insane. Rant over!!

Dhiraj said...

I feel sorry for all the prey that panthers kill like deer or zebra or something similar. Don't they have a public voice too?

I'm afraid it's the PC world going mad again.