18 June 2009

Internet research

These days it is possible, if you so wish, to research your opposition on the web to see how they're normally out etc, using Play Cricket. I can't say I have ever bothered, but opposition players have arrived at the grounds and approached me with a chirpy "you're in good form I see", or an equally chirpy (or so it seems to me) "you haven't got a wicket for weeks I see"! But apparently I've been infected with the bug now and couldn't help myself when it came to our opponents on 28th June.

Our opponents are Eton Ramblers in the 2nd round of the Cricketer Cup, and they're captained by Alex Loudon. His stats are there for all to see on Cricinfo, as is a short resume of his pro cricket career before he decided to work for a living. Erm, I mean work in an office for a living! Then there's Matthew Fleming who is rumoured to be playing. Again his stats and a useful clip of him hitting direct 4 times for 4 run outs in one game on YouTube (that was when he was much younger, but probably best to avoid tight singles to him!). And finally, James Bruce. No clips of him on YouTube but all his stats are available on Cricinfo....he's another one who's decided to work for a living.

Will this help our/my performance at all? I doubt it....especially as all I can fathom is that they were good enough to play pro-cricket and none of my team were. No tactical insights, apart from a reminder of the fact that Loudon has a doosra - as I won't be able to pick it, knowing about it is of little value!

3 comments:

Winks said...

I think its a sign you have too much free time when you are researching the opposition (and then writing about it!!)

Ed said...

Unless I go without lunch I always have 15 minutes to "relax"!

Jez said...

I expect they have researched your stats and are similarly quivering in their boots!