27 August 2009

Why was Ponting run out?

I wasn't watching live but I've not been able to work out how it was possible for Ponting not to make the 22 yards he needed at The Oval on Sunday. I've subsequently watched replays and couldn't help but think that Ponting must have been hopping rather than running to have ended up short of his ground given the time it took for Flintoff to get round and throw the stumps down.

But then I saw a photo of the dismissal from an angle that I hadn't seen before in Tuesday's Times. If showed Hussey at the other end looking back and watching from past the stumps as Ponting was stretching unsuccessfully to make his ground. Which makes a mockery of the criticism that Hussey's received in some articles I've read - it was an excellent run. For some reason the Australian skipper didn't respond properly and for that he's to blame....not Hussey.

2 comments:

Muttley said...

It looked to me as if he was ball-watching and not backing up. A lesson for us all!

Anonymous said...

match fixing?