24 July 2007

Rain, rain, go away...

Hmm. A friend and I were full of intention to head to Lord's for the final day's play this morning, only to scrap the plan when we awoke to filthy rain and a miserable forecast. I still can't decide whether I'm gutted or relieved to have missed out on an exciting day's play capped by a frustrating, rain-induced premature finish to the test match with England needing that final wicket to win.

I'm sure I'm not the only club cricketer in the UK getting fed up with this abject summer (and isn't the rain always worse at the weekend?!). As I watch Oxford's dreaming spires disappear slowly beneath the waves of flooding, it seems rather ironic (don't you think, Alanis?) that the British should be so accomplished at inventing sports that can't be played in the rain.

No comments: