30 March 2008

Gaveskar enjoys power withour responsibility

Avid readers of Cricket Burble will know that I've never been much of a fan of Sunil Gaveskar. In fact my words in a previous post were:

"A great player but very temperamental - how else can we explain him playing for a draw in a one day game and trying to take his batting partner off the pitch with him when he didn't agree with an LBW decision?"

I'm not a fan of emotional players, from any country, playing significant roles in the future of the game - that includes Boycott, Botham, Gaveskar and Ranatunga. The qualities needed to take the game forward aren't the same as those needed to drive a side to victory almost single-handedly. So I was interested to read this article suggesting that Gaveskar likes power without ever taking responsibility. I couldn't have put it better myself.

No comments: