12 November 2007

Vettori the batsman


Just after the recently concluded South Africa New Zealand test a mate texted me saying that he thought Dan Vettori was a very under rated batsman. In my reply I said that over the last two or three years I reckon he would average close to 40, and that not many of the NZ top six would be able to say the same. I then decided to check the stats and the results surprised even me.

I went back to January 2005 (not including the recent test against SA), and since then Vettori has scored 768 runs in 14 tests at 45.17. I then looked at similar stats for all the guys who have batted in the top 7 for the kiwis in that time (Fleming, Styris, Oram, James Marshall, Cumming, Papps, McCullum, Vincent and Astle). Of these players, the only one to average more than Vettori was Lou Vincent, with 541 runs in 7 tests at 48.18. Next were Fleming (957 at 41.6 from 15) and Astle (796 at 34.6 from 15). Of the rest only Styris averages more than 30 (32.6).


Its obviously simplistic to just go on averages. As a lower order batsman Vettori would rarely have to face a new ball with a fresh attack. He would also often come in late in th day when the attack and fielders tired (although not all THAT tired going on their latest performance). Having said that, I think a move up the order is justified. As one of their more successful batsman, New Zealand don't need Vettori running out of partners. In the current line-up, I wouldn't mind seeing Vettori shifted up as high as six, leaving Oram at seven and McCullum at eight.


By the way, I haven't done the numbers for ODIs, but I imagine thay'd be similar.

1 comment:

Ed said...

I'd agree and would move him up the order. If that was to happen, it would be interesting to see what effect it had on the others moving down....