10 October 2011

Two balls in ODIs

Interesting to see the view points on two new balls....I'd expect the ball to swing differently from each end due to the wind, shape of the stands etc, but this piece seems to suggest that when one ball was used the ball swung the same amount both ends. It's just something else to get used to, no big deal.

For England, I think it assures James Anderson's ODI future. Along with Dale Steyn he's the best new ball bowler in the world and he'll be able to bowl with a new ball for longer, looking to take wickets.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

idw said...

I am not adverse to some changes to the laws to improve the game or give players new challenges, but on the face of it, this seems like the most pointless change known to man. I may be missing the point, but I just don't understand the thinking in this new twist.

Ed said...

I think the thinking is purely to stop the interruption of the mandatory ball change at 34 overs. Both balls will not get past 25 overs old so in theory no more ball changes required.