10 September 2007

Dravid doesn't advocate further use of technology

Following from another day of controversial decisions at Lords, most notably the wrong decision to give out Sachin Tendulkar caught behind (see wrong decisions) on what was probably his last international appearance in England, Rahul Dravid has said that he's not in favour of using technology beyond line calls.

Perhaps he feels a little embarrassed about the fact that he clearly thought he wasn't out, but "snicko" subsequently proved that he was. This to me just goes to show how important it is that technology is used - even the most honest of players can mistakenly think they haven't hit it, so you can't rely on them walking.

I don't know about any Cricket Burble readers, but I've always walked when I know I've hit it (once when no-one from the opposition appealed!), but I have also stood there for two caught behinds where I was convinced that I hadn't hit the ball, only to be given out. While at club level there is no technology to prove things either way, the suggestions from many of the 21 other players in the matches involved made me question whether a batsman can always feel a nick. The Dravid decision proves that conclusively, so it's yet another argument for the use of technology in my book....

(Incidentally, can anyone tell me whether Uthappa was caught behind and not given? I heard he might have been but can't find conclusive evidence to add it to the growing lost of wrong decisions).

No comments: