20 September 2007

The low chances of youngsters improving much

I'm not sure if I've had this rant before on Cricket Burble and as I'm not sure I'm simply going to post it and you can let me know!!!

Stuart Broad went for 6 sixes last night and that's not a pleasant experience for anyone (not that I've experienced it!). But the general consensus seems to be "poor young man, he's got great talent, hope it doesn't damage him for the future".

Here's a prediction....he won't get appreciably better. There's very few that really get a lot better during a professional sports career, Flintoff, Steve Waugh and possibly Collingwood being cricketing exceptions. Owen and Rooney were as good or better at 18 as they are now, and Wilkinson peaked at 21, to look at other physical sports.

So for me, Broad needs to be good enough now and 6 sixes in an over obviously is worrying. Could he not bowl a decent yorker once in 6 balls (I didn't watch it)? If he improves dramatically and becomes a quality international bowler, then he will be the exception rather than the rule.

4 comments:

pK said...

How about Anderson as an example of a bowler who has got better with age?

Ed said...

He's a weird one. He was good to start with, then lost form, then seems to have got back to what he was before, a bowler who can bowl wicket-taking balls but is a little inconsistent. It seems quite a while ago when he started so I'm struggling to remember if he's better now than he was back when he started!

Anonymous said...

I only saw the last two balls of the over in question, and they were really in the slot. If you were hoping for the batsman to hit you for six thats exactly where you'd bowl it.

Ed said...

much like Yuvraj Singh's 5 balls to Mascarenas that got hit for sizes at the Oval then. But he has the excuse of being a part-time bowler....