22 August 2008

Depression sets in...

As a club cricketer, depression tends to set in around this time of year for me, given that the season will end soon....then the clocks change....and then it's back to leaving for work and returning from work in the dark. But for professionals, depression can be a great deal more serious and as Mike Atherton refers to in this interesting article, David Frith has even written a book about cricketing suicides, such is the number of them.

Personally I can't begin to imagine the scenario where you aren't in the right state of mind to play cricket - it's always been a great release - even if, for example, you're working all other hours available to you in your waking day. Having said that, I do remember an innings in a league match a few years ago where I padded up while having a telephone row with an ex-girlfriend. When a wicket fell I told her I had to go and just before I hung up I heard "don't put the phone down on me" - I'm not sure that was ideal preparation for my innings! Surprise, surprise, I scored 0, but such is my lack of cricketing skill, I'll never know if my duck was down to the preparation, or my own lack of ability!

After that 0 I was of course selected for the following week (I was captain!), but it must be hellish to be playing professionally and to know that you could be dropped if you don't perform. That's why I was so pleased for Collingwood when he got his hundred at Edgbaston - I literally can't imagine what he was going through because I've always known that I've got an enjoyable match next weekend, no matter how badly I do. Reading Graham Thorpe's autobiography gave me an interesting insight into just how different it is for pros and just how it can get on top of them, all the more when things aren't going right off the field. Atherton's article is similarly thought-provoking.

3 comments:

Mark Davis said...

Yes the Trescothick book is at the top of my wish list at the moment. As for the 'phone and cricket I did once actually answer a batsman's mobile as he was walking to the crease and was unkind enough to say something like he's just going into bat, can you hold on a minute ? - she did and didn't have to wait very long !

Ed said...

You can buy Trescothick's book by clicking on the link on the right-hand side towards the top of this page....

Mark Davis said...

Atherton's article is as you say very thought provoking but he doesn't mention a point that David Frith makes about the possible causes of cricket suicides among recently retired players. This is that just prior to retirement county players are involved with their game and their team mates completely for say six months a year and retirement ends that cocoon. You can see how that might be very scary (just think how much you miss tour life in the first few days after returning from tour)