18 August 2008

Leave the ball alone!

I spent a large part of Saturday's batting (and therefore umpiring ) session watching, with amusement, the antics of an opponent fielding in the gully. Most times the ball went through his hands on its way back to the bowler he'd lick a finger and then apply the moisture to a point on the ball - it was often a random part because he'd not always look at the ball. Then the ball would continue its route to the bowler who was usually by then waiting at the end of his run and almost without exception the throw was short so the ball bounced and undid the work.

All done with the best of intentions I'm sure but odd that none of his team mates pointed out the waste of effort and of time. Additionally as a bowler I'd prefer not to receive a ball with somebody elses saliva on it.

4 comments:

Ed said...

surely every time you have ever bowled (recently at least I'm assuming you haven't opened the bowling!) the ball has had saliva on it?

It's one of those things I don't like to reflect on, but the whole process of licking your fingers and then rubbing them on the ball time after time can't be the most hygienic thing in the world! Or do some people simply rub the ball on their trousers without first applying saliva? If that's the case does it work and still shine the ball as well?

This is not something I wanted to think about as I munch on my lunch time sandwich!

Anonymous said...

Saliva doesn't work that well. I often find that it is easier to shine without anything on than with spit as the spit makes it tacky until rubbed off again. Much better is sweat. Whilst we're on the subject, I generally find it is more effective to rub vigorously on the thigh than in the usual groin area.

Ed said...

I don't know about you but I hardly ever sweat (at first slip) in England, so that would leave little opportunity for ball shining!

I know some teams like to eat jelly style sweets (which could explain the jelly beans v India last year) because they think that makes their saliva even better for getting the ball to swing but I'm not a fan of carrying a bag of sweets around in my pocket when fielding....

You would have thought by now someone would have scientifically tested whether sweat, saliva or saliva with jelly sweet extract is better!!

Ed said...

Trescothick has commented about using sweets in the 2005 Ashes now.