13 November 2008

Yellow Cards

I have read that the ECB are contemplating the introduction of yellow cards at Club and Minor County level with the possibility of extending it to the first class game.

I am afraid that I cannot understand the logic behind this when, since 2000, the Laws of Cricket have comprehensively covered penalties for diciplinary matters. In the Southern Premier Cricket League there is a strict reporting regime for umpires and each case is treated according to its severity by the league committee.

The onus is on the captain of the side to ensure that guidelines behind The Spirit of Cricket are adhered to and I think that the danger of a yellow card system is that players could think that they now have more opportunities to flaunt the Laws before action is taken.

What do others think?

2 comments:

Ed said...

I assume that the yellow cards don't replace a proper punishment where they are fined and banned?

My take is that, sad though it makes me, there could be a role for a red card or something similar - you take no further part in the game. If Gambhir had known his innings would come to an end when he barged Watson, he wouldn't have done it. I don't understand how a yellow card will be any better than the verbal warning currently given by umpires? Same issue, same result - different way of handling it?

Anonymous said...

I don't like the fact that the captain is meant to be responsible for his player's actions! Why can't grown men be responsible for their own actions? I'd definitely get away with that rule.