9 January 2009

Told you so !

Well I meant to anyway. I'm sure that when Vaughan stepped down I wrote something about how Pietersen would be a bad choice and let's have Bob Key (I might have been in Whitstable when I wrote that last bit). [Ed: I can't find you saying that you wanted Rob Key on Cricket Burble!]

Unfortunately I'm not computer-literate to be able to find the evidence on the site. [Ed: But I am, here's the post Mark is referring to appropriately titled "Disastrous" and your exact words were "They say they want unity but they'll get division."]

So - in case I didn't tell you so - I meant to. [Ed: You did tell us!]

I think I might also have said (or at least thought) that I don't see any need for one man to captain the Test and ODI sides, but perhaps I only thought that too. [Ed: I can find no evidence of you writing this on Cricket Burble!]

One benefit of this shambles (and it's not a real shambles, we'll get over it after a succesful tour of the West Indies) is that it's enabled The Times to publish some super comments by Atherton, Martin-Jenkins and even The Sage of Longparish.

2 comments:

Peter Lamb said...

I do remember saying "anyone but Pietersen" when Vaughan stepped down. If it was obvious to relatively distant observers like you and me, how come the higher echelons of the ECB didn't see it too: I'm afraid recent events only serve to demonstrate the low calibre of those running the game in England.

Ed said...

I've updated the post to show just how right you were! The way to find old posts is to label them and then click on a subject in the long list on the right.

Unfortunately club cricketers (or at least the majority of them) have been proved right, and the ECB have been proved wrong in their selection of Pietersen.

If I could have one wish from all this it would be this: when you have a proven success story, back him. The clamour for change is normally hyped up by the media and it's the role of the ECB to laugh it off - not to rise to it. Vaughan should still be captain now, and but for internal pressures forcing him out, he still would be. If he were we'd be in an infinitely stronger position than we are now.