29 April 2009

England selection - bold but risky

So it's Bopara, Bresnan and Onions in, with no place for Bell, Shah or Vaughan. In many ways it's a bold move from the selectors trying to move forward and I'm not against Bopara playing as I think, ultimately, he'll be quality. I hope he has the temperament to bat at 3 in Tests, unlike Bell (so far). But it is a gamble and the selectors will get feedback - positive or negative - at the end of the summer based on results.

As you know, I would have picked Vaughan. Out last night for a curry with my Steyning team mates the general consensus was that Vaughan is the most feared by oppositions - often a near perfect guide to who should be selected. But Bopara offers the possibility of Pietersen-style talent to take the game away from the opposition, so if Vaughan was to miss out I'm glad it was to Bopara.

I'm pleased they went for Onions. He's unproven but worth the risk - he's far more consistent than Harmison. Where I disagree is Bresnan.....that's not to say he can't be a success but what exactly is his role? He's not as good a batsman as Broad leaving Broad to step up to 7, but I fear the England management see a player who averages less than 27 in first-class cricket batting at 7. Neither Broad or Bresnan should bat above 8 yet, but as one of them will have to, I think Broad shades it. The real question is about Bresnan's bowling? He's started the season well undoubtedly, but a first-class bowling average of 31+ indicates that he's not fit to lace Hoggard's boots (he averages less than 27 in first-class cricket and less than Bresnan's first-class average in Tests at 30.5).

I fear that Bresnan got picked because he can hold a bat, rather than consideration of the best 4 seam bowlers in England, irrespective of their batting abilities. And I have a sneaking suspicion who West Indies and Australia would least like to face of the two - it's not Bresnan! And 2 unproven bowlers is a greater risk than 1, on top of already playing Bopara at 3. The selectors are hitting the gamble button and I hope they get the plaudits if they're successful, but also the criticism if they aren't.

1 comment:

Dhiraj said...

At first I was disappointed with the selection, but reading more views on it I am actually quite pleased.

Shah has shown a tremendous lack of judgement, not just in going to the IPL instead of fighting for his place in England after a pretty poor series on plenty of good batting tracks but also for not working on his fielding or running between the wickets (throughout his career) which is strange considering he has quite a good temperiment in the 50 over game.

I would like Pietersen to bat at 3 with Bopara 4 but not just for the short term. I think Pietersen has the ability to adapt his batting style to the situation he is in which makes him a good candidate for the number 3 spot.

And for Bresnan, I think he's going to be the 12th Man with England playing 2 spinners and Swann batting at 8. I think that's England's best chance of winning Test matches this summer as I expect the groundsmen to prepare flat wickets in every test.