9 October 2009

Luke Wright

I know I'm meant to be a fan of his these days, as Luke Wright comes from my home county of Sussex. But I find myself struggling with England's selection of Wright in the Test squad - I hope (and trust!) that he proves me wrong.

If you were picking a top 7 batsmen in Test cricket would he be in with even a tiny shout? No.

If you were looking for a bowler who plays an equal part in a 5 man bowling attack, would you consider picking him? No.

So the sum of two ordinary parts, don't equal a very satisfactory whole I reckon. And if you need some relatively ropey bowling to give the main four bowlers a rest, you already have Collingwood or, when Pietersen plays, Pietersen. Give him a chance by all means against Bangladesh, but not when it matters....please?

3 comments:

Pete said...

I agree Ed, I'm a big fan of Wright in a one-day context, but he looks a long off a test player. Shah must be considering himself pretty unlucky not to be in the one-day squad as well.

Muttley said...

Didn't you say the same about Shane Watson?

Ed said...

Yes I did Muttley (about Tests)! He did better than I (and many others) expected as a top 3 batsman in his 3 Ashes matches averaging 48. But his bowling was truly awful.

It'll be interesting to see how he goes moving forward if Australia persist with him as an opener. I still can't see it working out, but good luck to him. He's got a way to go to move his Test average to respectability though (it's currently 27). But atleast it's become clear he's in as a batsman, not as someone who's going to try and hedge their bets.

And, of course, he's due a year off for injury shortly!!