10 October 2009

Worst feeling in cricket?

Aussie Dave suggests in his comment about Younis Khan's drop that dropping a simple catch is the worst feeling in cricket. For me, anything that happens when fielding, generally, doesn't worry me as much as batting because you get another chance. My top 3 worst feelings in cricket:

Worst: Playing a stupid shot when chasing a total, getting yourself out unnecessarily so that you put a potential win at risk. It's all the worse because the ball the bowler bowled is not a good one - you've got yourself out. (I did this at Ifield this year - fortunately we won anyway.)

2. Getting given out caught behind when you haven't hit it (and if you're a walker).

3. Not being able to persuade the person you need to bowl to bowl at the death in a crucial relegation game, and losing by one wicket, possibly as a result.

10 comments:

Winks said...

Having dropped the 10th wicket twice this year (1 simple, 1 difficult). That was a pretty bad feeling especially when one would have got the team its first win for 2 years and in the process cost the runs for the opposition to level the scores (that was the easy one as well). What makes it worse was I had positioned myself at cow corner for the catch as I am meant to be about the safest pair of hands in the team.

2 weeks later opposition 9 down again, full stretch one handed dropped another victory, this time we drew. Having won the previous week it wasn't as bad.

Mark Davis said...

Played hockey on saturday - invited back to the oppo's clubhouse to find only cans of beer. We will all have to get used to it.

Jez said...

I would have almost certainly dropped it anyway Winks if you hadn't swapped our positions. Think I caught 50% of chances which came my way last season and had already taken a catch in the innings so dropping the next one was a near on certainty!

Anonymous said...

Andrew Symonds has said that dropping a catch is the worst feeling in cricket. It isn't only Younis.

Muttley said...

I'd say that worse than not getting to bowl at the death is begging to bowl, getting the chance to do so and then bowling tripe and losing the game.

However, my worst ever feeling in cricket came with the bat. The previous season I had had some success as a makeshift opener in holding an end up whilst wickets tumbled at the other end. The following season I was skippering and after a few early season collapses I lost my rag and promoted myself to open to show the team how to do it. I got a golden duck. It was a very very long walk back to the pavilion.

Mark Davis said...

The only time I gave a team a serious half time rollicking (involving getting them all out of the tea room and haranguing them in the changing room) we were soon 0-6.

idw said...

Being given out LBW when you are clearly nowhere near or have hit it.
Having said that, I nearly walked for the last one I was given out to !

Anonymous said...

interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

very useful read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.