9 August 2007

"Catch it"

It's always good to hear that the professional players have the same problem as we have in amateur cricket. According to Cricinfo when the ball went down towards Pietersen for Jaffer's dismissal someone shouted "catch it".

"Catch it," barked a fielder, helpfully, as the ball was in the air.

This is a problem that I've always had. I can't stop myself from shouting "catch it" when the ball is in the air. As if the person the ball is going towards is ever thinking of not trying to catch it! But I can't help it, try as I might. A few weeks ago I was at 1st slip and went to my left for a catch to see the ball parried upwards by our keeper. As I fell to my left I even managed to shout "catch it", as keeper and 2nd slip threw themselves towards the ball in a fraction of a second to narrowly miss the rebound. I realised at that point that there was really no point in trying to cure my "catch it" shout. So it's good to know I'm not the only one....

No comments: