2 August 2007

Excuses for not playing cricket

We've all been there. Club cricketers have pressure on them to do other things nearly every weekend. And even if we have no issues about playing in the afternoon, the late finishes tend to mean that the party you wanted to attend becomes more like a fleating appearance - when you arrive at 11pm several guests have left already because they have a long way to go, and if you are catching the tube home you need to leave within an hour or so.

I've always thought that cricket should be missed for only weddings, stag dos and funerals. But I broke my own rules this year to create my own personal best excuse - I went to my god son's 1st birthday party instead of playing cricket. People say he won't remember whether I was there or I wasn't, but I thought I should be. But in comparison to some I've heard, that excuse is a perfectly justifiable one!

My personal favourite is "I have to watch my mum play tennis", but a new comedy excuse emerges each year. What are the best excuses for missing cricket that you've heard?

3 comments:

GROV said...

Probably somebody who gave the excuse "I have a hair appointment" - I will say this before anybody else!

When I played cricket regularly, I do not recall missing a single weekend game - funerals tend not to happen at weekends and my friends were sensible enough to get married in the close season.

David said...

Speaking of excuses, your absence was noted from yesterday's match!

Anonymous said...

Excuses that I have heard just this season:

"I am seeing my Mum"
"I am helping my sister / flatmate move house"
"I am going to the Test"

...oh, wait..that last one was me! Ooops.