14 October 2008

ICC to discuss Twenty20 and technology

According to this article on Telegraph.co.uk, the ICC are to discuss the impact of Twenty20 on the Future Tours Programme and also greater use of technology following the trial in the Sri Lanka v India series. Trying to contain the IPL given the money that is involved will be near impossible, so I wish the ICC luck in trying maintain the importance of Test cricket - the fact that England are on playing two Tests in India this winter signifies the problem. Unfortunately the horse has bolted - it's a little late now.

But using greater technology pleases me for 2 reasons. 1) as Cricket Burble readers will know I am on a constant tirade to try to reduce the role of luck in the game so that best players succeed based on the laws of the game and not an umpiring mistake. But also 2) I can't keep up with the number of wrong decisions that need to be added to the Cricket Burble Wrong Decisions list, given that I have a more than full-time job! I thought I'd get respite in the Sri Lanka v India series where they used technology, but rather than allow umpires access to all the technology they only allowed access to some of it, which meant more wrong decisions. They haven't been added to the list yet, and neither have the recent wrong decisions in the India v Australia 1st Test. If technology is used sensibly, wrong decisions would be limited to an error with the technology, which will be infinitely less often than human error.

For both reasons, I can't wait!

No comments: