28 October 2008

Mr.Sutton would have been pleased

Like most of us addicts in Planet Cricket I was smitten with the game as soon as I met it and that was in 1961 when Richie Benaud captained Australia to an Ashes win and famously bowled England skipper Peter May behind his legs, causing the selectors to drop Fred Trueman from the next and potentially series-deciding Test Match because it was argued that it was his footmarks that had allowed Benaud his success.

In those days it was always the case that Tests started on Thursdays with the team announced on the previous Sunday and I remember my Latin master being concerned whether the newly emerging Ted Dexter was, as his name meant he should be, indeed right handed. We all knew, of course that he was indeed right handed.

The old boy would have been so pleased with the Middlesex line-up yesterday - 6 left handers then Neil Dexter facing the correct way - perfect.

Another point from yesterday - I bet there's more people who agree with me now that Ben Scott is the best keeper on the county circuit.

2 comments:

Ed said...

I didn't see the match - were Ben Scott's stumpings particular brilliant? I noticed the latest Wisden Cricketer suggests (yet again) that James Foster is the best keeper in the country.

Anonymous said...

The one he took off Murtagh was nothing short of brilliant. There are far too many left handers in cricket these days - they should all be made to bat right handed, just think how much easier it would be for bowlers, and for captains setting the field !