5 December 2008

Owing it to cricket?

Obviously a lot has been said and written about whether the England team should or should not return to India and I bet there are more twists to come out of the story yet. But what bothered me was Nasser Hussain (of whom I'm normally a huge fan) saying that they had to go because they 'owed it to cricket'. I'm pretty certain that if I planned to go where terrorists have recently targeted tourists my wife and family would reckon that I owed it to them more to remain safe rather than owing any 'duty' to any form of employment, no matter how lucrative.

Did anybody else find it amusing that it was suggested that the Middlesex players Finn, Murtagh and Richardson (who's in the 'development squad' anyway) should join England as they'd already got visas. Do you need visa for India and how difficult would it be to get one if you were going there to play International cricket ?

2 comments:

Ed said...

Yes! You do need a visa for India and yes, I did find it rediculous that Middlesex players were considered the best replacements because they had visas! Surely they have players on standby who have visas and are ready to go?!?

To be fair to Hussain, he also says that players that choose not to go should not be penalised in any way....

Anonymous said...

And now Asad Rauf can't make it due to a lack of visa!!!!!!!