3 June 2009

Not great timing !

From the start I've been a huge fan of Twenty20 cricket and have been to matches all over the South East. Not for me the notion that it's not 'proper cricket', indeed I'd argue that what we play at the weekend is proper cricket rather than what the moneyed guys get involved with (although I love that too).
The trouble is that on the threshold of a 20/20 World Cup I've just realised that I'm bored with it all and hanker for the subtlety of the longer games and judging by the numbers attending matches over the last fortnight I'm not alone.
Well, at least the football seasons finished,isn't it ?

4 comments:

idw said...

Mercifully yes the football season is finished for the time being. Well, at least until Saturday and then next Wednesday when there are England qualifying games on.

I'm more disappointed that with tickets to the ICC Twenty20 at the weekend, the now glorious weather is set to change for the wetter.

Mark Davis said...

It seems that Simon Wilde of The Times agrees with me :-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article6426396.ece

Having said that I'm off to the opening ceremony tomorrow and playing 20/20 myself tonight (what use is a step and fetch off spinner and a very stodgy batsman in 20/20 ?)

Winks said...

Well if the blocking out for a draw in a 6-a-side tournament is anything to go by the batting is a problem. Bowling should be fine taking the pace off the ball seems to be very effective in T20

Ed said...

Yes, I've found myself not worrying about the Twenty20 at the moment as it seems to be a precursor to the important bit when they're actually playing for something (yes, I know they are in leagues and some go through, so don't, but I'm quite happy ignoring this bit and getting interested later in the season.

On the plus side, I have a ticket to The Oval on Sunday to watch England v Pakistan (and South Africa v Scotland)!