29 July 2011

Betting odds tell you what's happening

If you follow the cricket via Cricinfo or the BBC waiting to see updates to the scoreboard when you're working as I do, you expect to notice when a wicket falls. But I had the strange experience twice today of hearing that a wicket had fallen from my colleague next to me. Having been a pro gambler for 6 months, he's on top of all things betting and it turns out that the odds change after a wicket well before the scorecards get updated.

So as Morgan was starting his innings he said to me "Another wicket's fallen" to which I told him that his information was out of date...the fourth wicket had gone down just before that. But as it turned out, he was right - Morgan was out third ball....the Cricinfo scorecard caught up about 30 seconds later. The same happened again when Bresnan was out - my colleague noticed the odds change and told me a wicket must have fallen. Sure enough I found out it had shortly afterwards.

That's a whole new experience for me....following events on the cricket pitch via the betting odds!

Bookmark and Share

No comments: