25 July 2011

Getting out of the way of the ball

Listening to the TMS commentary and Cook has just got hit fielding at silly point. On the backside as he turned around. Why do players do that? Gambhir got hit on the elbow doing that yesterday.

I've fielded close in quite a lot and I try not to turn at all. It of course takes a bit of nerve not to flinch but whatever you do you're just as likely to get hit and I'd prefer to be watching the batsman in case the ball isn't middled and you can react.

I'm told by people that have been professionally coached on this that the advice is to simply hunch down facing the batsman if you're at short-leg, and jump up if you're at silly point (as the ball is likely to go low on the off-side, but may go at any height on the leg-side), but not sure I totally agree with that. Any move that takes your eye off the ball or just moves your eyes, makes it less likely you'll catch a chance.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Sam said...

This coming from the man who quickly retreated at Aldworth a couple of weeks back when the batsman ATTEMPTED to hit it through you (failing miserably both times)?

Ed said...

Perhaps I should have added "when wearing a helmet and box"! No game is worth getting your teeth knocked out for but with a helmet and box you're protected in the crucial areas. In Tests they where pretty much full body armour on their shins too.

At Aldworth my main consideration was my drinking ability for the rest of the week rather than winning the match!