21 July 2011

You never stop learning

So we're sitting watching our colleagues bat and someone says, of a fielder 'oh, he's made the mistake of chatting to the square leg umpire'.
'What's wrong with that ?' I ask. Well, I'm told, if the umpire moves back and the fielder chooses to continue the conversation he's likely to move back with the umpire and he's no longer saving one. It had never occurred to me but in the next match I decided to test the theory during my own umpiring stint and wow! it works. I had a quick bowler by me who was happy to tell me his life story including cricketing achievements and I'm pretty sure he'd have followed me to the pub if I'd gone there. He certainly moved back 10 yards or so as I did so. Brilliant - try it yourselves.

Bookmark and Share


3 comments:

Mark Davis said...

You'll appreciate, of course, that I was conducting a social experiment, not trying to help my batting colleagues!

Jez said...

Which can now be used to good effect in TVL! Genius Mave

Matt O'Toole said...

Of course, Mark, otherwise you would have been breaching an umpire's impartiality!