10 February 2009

Backroom Staff

A lot has been said about the lack of a Head Coach and the effect that it had on the recent batting performance.

It does make me wonder whether all the people taken on tour are really necessary and whether they really do make a valid contribution to the well-being of the team. Remember the old days when the debate raged about whether Botham needed to attend nets and I cannot imagine how Gatting would have reacted to the comments from a nutritionist about eating cheese and pickle sandwiches!

My real point is whether batting, fielding and bowling coaches plus nutritionists and goodness knows how many others are really necessary. Do they really help all players? I am sure they hinder some.

Just a thought but would the lack of a Head Coach have been mentioned if England had won handsomely?

4 comments:

Ed said...

yes, the list does get enormous when you see it - psychologists, conditioners etc - all seems a bit much. But tennis players have retained coaches and I'm surprised individual cricketers don't retain coaches in the way some do in other sports....

From the noises Strauss has made, I think he's keen to reduce the support team to a minimum and force the players to think for themselves.

Mark Davis said...

Just think how good Grov and I would have been with proper coaching !

Anonymous said...

I'll see who I can recruit for tour...

Peter Lamb said...

After today's nonsense, perhaps they should take a groundsman with them too.