26 February 2009

First net of the 2009 season

I'm off to the County ground at Hove for nets tonight - my first attempt to play cricket of 2009. And nets with a new club. What scares me a little is just how variable my cricketing skills can be the first time I play each year. Last year, not too bad in that my first ball hit the mat. All seasons I can remember before that - appalling.

My fear of the first attempt to play cricket each season particularly hinges around bowling. Batting-wise I normally get my pad in the way so at least I rarely hear the death rattle and suffer the ignominy of picking the stumps up and placing them back in position. Although now I've said that I will no doubt be bowled a dozen times.

The first ball I bowl normally consists of a couple of bounces (or more) or a head-high full toss, combined with hitting the side netting. Fortunately there's no umpire, because if there was I'd take their head off with my round arm initial attempts to get the ball anywhere near the batsman. My aspirations for the end of net 1 is normally just to bounce the ball on the green mat without letting out too much of a groan at the point of delivery (that comes from a rugby shoulder injury which only marginally eases with use throughout the summer).

So I'll let you know how it goes. My new team mates will wonder if I've ever played cricket before after they see me in action tonight....! And if any of them are reading this, then at least they are forewarned!

4 comments:

Mark Davis said...

My main fear at nets is where there's a roof because there's a danger of going over it. This is bowling not batting, of course.
I had a spell coaching kids at Weybridge where there was a frame for a roof but no actual roof. It's very difficult to look authoritative if your balls are constantly pinging into the front of the aluminium pipe and disappearing over your head. This year our club is going to The Oval - does anyone know whether the ceiling is high there ?

Ed said...

Hmmm. Slight problem. The net was actually on Tuesday and I was 48 hours late!!!!

So waiting until next Tuesday for the inevitable double bouncers into the site netting!

Mark Davis said...

Can't think of a better way to impress yoour new team mates !

GROV said...

I find a bit of practice in the middle in July gets me ready for my season that lasts three days.

My advice is to tell everybody how dreadful you are and any improvement on that is a bonus.

I am of the old school that believes in getting the skipper to bat first, con him into letting you open and then getting to the pub before lunchtime closing. Now my secret is out......