20 July 2009

Another problem with those heavy bats

Speaking as a bowler I reckon that the modern heavy bat is even more the work of the devil than sight screens but on tour last week I found another serious problem with them. Twice I batted with 'proper' batsman and managed to allow both of them to complete their fifties but on each occasion I was nearly decapitated by what I think they'd call lofted straight drives.

It certainly made me reluctant to back up too far but it also made me wonder about those players who, coming to the end of their careers, might previously have become umpires. Looks pretty dangerous to me for those with ageing reactions.

5 comments:

Ed said...

As one of the offenders I feel guilty - I noticed you weren't backing up much! What about backing up wide on the offside even when the bowler is bowling from that side? It's perfectly legal and club players tend to be a little bit right-hand dominant (to put it mildly!).

David said...

Sorry about that! But I don't know about 'lofted straight drive' - more a cross-batted swipe, I'd say!

Perhaps this is why batsmen (and umpires?) need to wear helmets!

Muttley said...

David, you're clearly showing your naivety in cross-batted swipes. No slogger worth their salt would get it anywhere near straight enough to hit the umpire or non-striker!

The point is a serious one though. The blog reminded me of this recent article, although it was from a fielder not a batsman. I can certainly see umpires wearing helmets in the future.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article6643640.ece

Winks said...

A lofted straight drive should comfortably clear the umpire and other batsman otherwise it could be classed as a missed chance for the bowler. I say this having hit my batting partner a couple of times with straight drives...

Jez said...

Surely the skilled batsman in the world should be able to pick their spot comfortably wide of Mave and the umpire leaving them to admire the shot in peace!