15 July 2009

Competitive Test Cricket

I was thinking about the competitive state of test cricket at the moment and realised its probably the healthiest its been in its history. There is very little to choose between the top four teams in Australia, South Africa, India and England. There is then a small gap to Sri Lanka and Pakistan, either of these two teams could beat any of the top four given the right conditions. Then a slightly larger gap to New Zealand and West Indies (at full strength) and then down to Bangladesh. As much as I loved the Australian domination of the last 15 years it is refreshing to see so many teams being competitive.


I thought I'd check the ICC rankings to see if they agreed with my assessment. As you can see, I may have over-estimated England's team. I forgot they were recently beaten by the West Indies.


Even so, I maintain that test cricket right now is as competitive as it has ever been.

1 comment:

Ed said...

The key has been you Aussies losing some of the best players to have ever played the game. Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist were 3 of the greatest ever so now they've gone we can get back to more competitive Test cricket. (Not sure if Hayden might be added as a 4th by some).