27 July 2009

Flintoff and left handers

Very interesting article analysing how Australia could react to the fact that Flintoff has been far more effective against their left-handers than their right-handers. I've got to say, it's made me think about Hughes further - I'd still pick him but they must be sorely tempted to move Hussey up to open and bring in Watson in the middle-order. Either way, moving Michael Clarke, who Flintoff has never got out in an Ashes Test, up to 4 looks to make good sense judging by this analysis.

England have gone for Bell batting 4. I would have preferred Collingwood up to 4 and Bell at 5 because Bell bats better lower down and that splits Bopara and Bell up, but hopefully it won't make a huge amount of difference if Bopara can come good....

4 comments:

David said...

I've been very unimpressed with what I've seen of Hughes this summer, having never seen him bat before. I don't buy the idea that backing away to leg and playing with a huge gap between bat and pad is 'just the way he plays' - it seems a highly dodgy technique for a test-match opener that has, unsurprisingly, been comprehensively found out. Hussey's a much better shout to open, as you say, despite a lack of recent runs.

(I realize that I've now completely jinxed our chances against him, that he'll score a hundred at Edgbaston, and that I will look very silly.)

I would have kept Colly at 5, as I like his gingery nuggety goodness in the lower middle order. I would have put Bell at 3 (yes, despite 2005!), as I think his technique is currently better suited to that role than Bopara's (who seems to be going hard at the bowling at the moment rather than playing the ball a bit later like Bell). I think Bell will score runs against this Aussia attack, though I again expect to have to eat my words!

Ed said...

I predict ducks or sublime 30s from Bell. But, like you, now that I've said that he'll probably score a hundred....that's possible I suppose - I am hoping he comes good as I said he might be England's version of Damien Martyn.

How much gingery nuggety goodness do we need in our middle order - Bell is Ginge (as proven by a Cricket Burble survey a year or more ago!) and Fintoff is in there too. If we get Sidebo back in at 8 Prior would be the only non-ginge in the middle order and he doesn't count as he doesn't have a hair colour (that anyone can notice)!!

David said...

I think you need your eyes tested, Ed! Flintoff and Sidebottom are clearly not ginger. And Bell, whilst ginger, is not yet worthy of the 'nuggety' tag. Fact!

Ed said...

Oh dear, you're one of those people that calls ginge's "stawberry blonde" or "auburn" aren't you?! (And no amount of "Fact!" calling will make me believe you!)