4 January 2008

England selection for New Zealand tour

While I don't necessarily think that there is anything wrong with the squad on paper, as I mentioned yesterday, I'm worried about the inconsistency in England selection. Don't think Prior can cut it as international level? OK, so make the number 2 on the previous tour the first choice keeper - Mustard. And yet all the press seem to think that Ambrose will be first choice keeper.

And I feel very sorry for Bopara. It looks like he might have to follow the path previously trod by Collingwood. A proven pressure player in ODIs who is assumed not to be able to step up but he will deliver when he gets a proper chance. The poor guy has only had 5 innings in Tests and was given out when he wasn't in one of them and run out in another - it's far too early to be casting him aside. I hope it's not too long before he gets another go.

The next question is, what number will Strauss bat?

No comments: