25 July 2008

Don't lose the faith in Vaughan!

This article about the future of Michael Vaughan worries me....because I fear some of the observations about what the England selectors may be thinking are all too true. Why exactly did Peter Moores turn on Vaughan about the selection of Pattinson last week? Apart from the obvious, to deflect attention away from the part he played in selecting Pattinson, the more concerning worry is that it would seem he doesn't see a long-term future for his captain. It's either that, or he made a catastophic mistake in front of the media - either is extremely worrying and makes me think less of Moores!

The alternatives to Vaughan right now are too scary to contemplate - I hope he can carry on past next year's Ashes and ideally past the return Ashes in Australia that begin at the end of 2010. If he could choose when he might relinquish the captaincy I wonder if it would be after the 2011 English summer, by which time he'll be just short of his 37th birthday. By that point Alastair Cook may well have matured as a player and personality to take over. I certainly hope we don't hound out one of England's most successful captains because we mistakenly think that runs are the only thing that needs considering. But as a Vaughan fan, I hope he makes a big score at Edgbaston so that issue goes away again for a bit, preferrably on Wednesday when I'll be watching!

3 comments:

Dhiraj said...

The only alternative I can think of is England's last successful captain, Andrew Strauss. He's won a series 3-0 (despite what the ICC say) and seems to have re-discovered his batting. Also he has a knack of handling Monty well.

Though, I do hope Vaughan hits form. I don't think there is anyone currently playing for England that I rather watch bat.

Anonymous said...

Not Strauss. I think he has a reasonably decent cricket brain, but can't handle the big name players that aren't toffs (sorry, public schoolboys) - i.e KP, Fred, Harmy etc. Not a guy that can impose himself on the game / players to enough an extent.

I reckon Cook is a good call, but that timescale also gives someone else not necessarily in the team at the moment enough time to make a case. Bopara?

Ed said...

I'm a massive fan of Bopara but I'm not sure he's a captaincy man - he seems to have a few moments where he loses his head....but you're right - he may mature by that time.

But I'm not sure Vaughan will be given that long!