5 July 2008

Nit-picking

I wasn't watching quite as intently as I could have been, but did anyone else notice in the Wimbledon ladies doubles final the commentator's cricketing mistake? As the William's sisters cruised to victory one of their serves was edged into the crowd where a spectator took a catch. The commentator suggested that the ball had been caught at "deep backward short leg", or so it sounded to me....

I also watched a bit of the U18 girls final in which Laura Robson won to much acclaim. Hawkeye was used successfully by both girls to overturn wrong line calls - how simple and effective it all seemed....I hope cricket can follow suit and use technology in an appropriate way to overturn wrong decisions.

After a week of cricket tour which had excellent weather, I'm looking forward to next year already. In 4 games I managed to bowl no deliveries and face just two balls, which were both reverse swept and I remain without a tour average. But I got to wicket-keep twice - something that I haven't done for years. Without any pace bowling to worry about I was able to stand up throughout but that left me with bruises and seam marks on my forearms - wicket-keepers have my sympathy! My record was 0 byes in the first game, and 6 in the second (4 from one ball) and a missed stumping.....I think I might be known as a "stopper" given the number of times I fumbled the ball! Fortunately I didn't do my hands any damage like this guy.

No comments: