14 July 2008

Who gets dropped for Flintoff?

There's lots of discussion about who should go if Flintoff comes back into the side for England at Headingley. Collingwood has been the man most under pressure, but I think you have to assume that Flintoff is fit enough to play as one of four front-line bowlers, or you don't pick him. That means looking at a bowling slot. We should assume that Sidebottom is fully fit.

For the first time in a long time, Anderson has bowled with a bit of discipline in conditions that haven't favoured him. So I'd agree with Shaun Pollock on TMS this morning and I'd drop Stuart Broad - excellent prospect though he seems to be. By bringing Flintoff in at 7 it allows Ambrose to continue until at least the end of the summer because he could be a number eight, but he isn't a number 7. His dropped catches recently aren't filling me with confidence though. If they want to drop Collingwood, I think they'd need to bring in Prior to bat at six given that Ambrose and Flintoff aren't good enough for six. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Sidebottom is struggling the decision may not need to be made as concerns Flintoff. But what about Simon Jones? He should be picked first!!!

Agree re Ambrose's batting. If Broad, Ambrose and Flintoff all play then they should bat in this order: Broad, Flintoff, Ambrose.

David said...

It's difficult to see how they could go for a five-man attack at the moment, as you say, due to a lack of a suitable number six.

In which case, I guess I agree with Broad missing out (despite his runs!), though I've yet to be convinced by the inconsistent Anderson. Mind you, it might be sensible in the long run to rest Sidebottom for a match given his side strain - even if he is nominally deemed 'fit' to bowl.

I think I've just suggested dropping all that bowlers! Very helpful when Messrs Vaughan and Moores come to check Cricket Burble tonight, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Now theyve picked Ambrose in the squad, they'll have to play 6 batsman. It could be Broad or Anderson to be dropped....the batting would be strong if Anderson is dropped!