28 June 2010

Blocking the bowler

Whether it's professional or club cricket, there is a long-standing and persistent problem which annoys the bowler and as it's been me several times lately, I'd like to propose a solution. Just like the adoption of technology, I think it would be wise to sort the issue before it changes a crucial match rather than wait until it becomes a big talking point. What issue am I talking about?

How often have you seen a slow bowler bowling with a long on and the non-striking batsman standing their ground to block the bowler from diving across and stopping the single? It happens all the time and the batsman is entirely right to hold their ground - they are doing exactly the right thing to ensure their team gets a run and they are under no obligation to move.

I have a very simple suggestion - off slow bowlers the non-striking batsman should have to stand a few metres wide to avoid this situation. If something isn't done to change the laws in this area then it's going to become a full contact sport - I don't think the bowler is left with any option but to barge the batsman out of the way. And sadly (because I don't like being confrontational on the cricket pitch), I've had to let the two batsman that have blocked me in the last two weeks know that I will knock them out of the way next time. Fortunately there has been no next time in the matches I've been playing in, but it will happen eventually sadly....unless a law change is considered.

4 comments:

Winks said...

I can see the problem, but the positioning of the non striker can then cause problems for the long-on fielder being able to see the batsman's shot and pick up the flight of a catch. I noticed this at long-on yesterday as I was being forced to move 15 yards each way to try and get a view of the ball. Luckily I guessed the right side and two catches came straight to me, if I had gone the other side of the non striker I doubt I would have made it to them.

Ed said...

Agreed, that can be an issue. But at long on you've got more time so I think that's the lesser of two evils....

Pete V said...

Bowlers. Never happy!
If the non-stricker is made to stand wider, he's more likey to move out of the crease to steal a run - the umpire would need eyes either side of his head to watch the bowlers front foot and the non-striker. I would think he's more likely to obstruct the mid-on as well.

Aussie Dave said...

You're just looking for things to change now aren't you Ed.