5 June 2008

Don't say I didn't warn you

Like all popular moves that start out with huge popularity it seems that Twenty20 cricket is subject to the vagaries of fashion.


Yorkshire (well Martyn Moxon, on the radio, actually) are reporting that for their five home matches this year they have sold fewer tickets than they had done at the same stage for their four home matches last year.

Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of T20 and will go to several this year at Lord's and The Oval but to assume that it is cricket's panacea may well be short sighted.

2 comments:

Ed said...

It will be interesting to see how it works out. I think it's hear to stay and will be really important moving forward.

What Twenty20 did originally was get people to see cricket who hadn't seen it before - my wife for one!! She decided she didn't like it so hasn't gone back but many will come back so maybe it will be seen as a success, despite having a natural drop out rate from those that decided it wasn't for them....?

Peter Lamb said...

There are those, mostly of the older generation like me, who wouldn't go to a T20 match even if they were paid to do so. It bears no resemblance to proper cricket.